Most of us have a scar or two. Maybe it came from an accident on your bike when you were a kid. Or from a mishap chopping onions as an adult. Scars often come with stories and soon become a part of us. But it’s a different story when that scar is on your face. Those scars are constantly out for the world to see; they can’t be hidden with long sleeves or trousers. Facial scars can be caused by accidents and injuries, but they can also be caused by acne and leave a lifelong mark. If your facial scars are starting to cause you to lose your confidence or serve to detract from your natural beauty, then it’s time to explore treatment options that can help you diminish the appearance of scars and reveal the beautiful skin that’s hidden underneath.
All About Scars
What are scars, really?
While most of us are familiar with scars, we might not know what they actually are and what causes them to form. Scars form on your skin when the deepest layer of your skin is damaged. The body is eager to repair that layer of skin and will begin to knit it back together using bands of collagen. Collagen is an important ingredient in your skin and adds to the strength and fullness of it. However, when it’s used to repair damage to the skin, the resulting layer is tougher and thicker than what was there before. That’s the scar.
There are different types of scars, and some are more easily treated than others. It’s important to be evaluated by a skin care professional in order to determine the best treatment to help reduce redness and swelling in the scar.
Treatment Options to Diminish the Appearance of Scars
At Home Treatments
- Nourish the skin. This is especially important when the scar is newly formed. The more you supply the skin with the nutrients that it needs, the less obvious the scar is likely to become. Look for treatments that include Vitamin E, well known for its skin healing properties.
- Protect it from the sun. The sun can make the appearance of scars much more noticeable and darker. To prevent that, make sure that you use a good SPF every day. Many foundations and moisturizers contain an SPF, but supplementing them can provide more protection.
- Avoid acids in your face care products. A lot of skin care products contain forms of acid that are there to help exfoliate the skin. While this can be good for some people, if you have a fresh scar it’s best to avoid them. The acid can irritate the scar and make it more visible.
- Use silicone gel. This gel is formulated to help reduce the appearance of scars and can help alleviate other symptoms such as itching and dryness. The gel will dry clear on your face, too, so it won’t be noticeable to others.
Treatments at Our Raleigh Med Spa
- Hydrafacial®. This incredible facial process can completely resurface your skin. It’s a non-invasive treatment that’s designed to deeply hydrate your skin, which is great for helping new scars heal. The process also reduces that appearance of lines and wrinkles and can help refine your skin’s texture.
- Laser therapy. Lasers can be extremely effective in treating scars. Over several sessions, our trained med spa team will treat your scars with our laser systems. This is a painless process that increases the production of collagen in your skin and helps new tissue form instead of the scar tissue. The number of sessions you’ll need will depend on the severity and size of the scarring.
- Vampire Facial. Don’t let the name put you off! This facial involves taking a small amount of your blood in order to extract the platelet-rich plasma (PRP) inside. The PRP is then combined with a micro-needling process to target troubled areas of your skin, including scars. The PRP is spread over the area of the skin that has been micro-needled, letting the body absorb it naturally. That kickstarts the production of collagen in the skin which is excellent for reducing the appearance of scars.
- Skincare products. Nuderma carries high-quality lines of skin care products that can feed your skin with the nutrients that it needs in order to create beautiful, healthy skin. Whether you need a new cleanser, a new moisturizer, or a whole new skincare routine, we have the products you need.
Which Treatments Are Right For You?
It’s often a combination of at-home and in-spa treatments that provide the best results for reducing the appearance of your facial scars. You need to ensure you are doing the right treatments, though. That’s where our med spa in Raleigh can help. Let our team take you through a comprehensive skin evaluation. They’ll talk to you about areas of concern on your skin and ask what your goals are for your appearance. Based on that, they can create a treatment plan that includes both treatments at Nuderma as well as things that you can do at home that will help you reach your skin goals.
You can make an appointment with the Nuderma team for a free consultation to learn more about all of our services. Give us a call or request an appointment through our website today. We’re looking forward to seeing you in our Raleigh med spa soon and helping you find the right mix of treatments to make your scars start to disappear.